Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Alex's Newest Game

This semester in college, I am taking an Introduction to Game & Simulation Development class. That's what the class's title is supposed to be, anyways. In our class, we've been using a website called Gamestar Mechanic to learn about and experiment with game design. Before I say anything else, the website is supposed to be aimed for 4th - 9th graders. My professor has been seeing how well the website can work with students past 9th grade, so that's why we've been using it. As our homework assignment this week, we had to create a five-level game using the Gamestar Mechanic engine. So, without further to do, here's my game. Hit the link below to check it out!

Here's the link to my game!



This was a pretty fun assignment to do, actually. The Gamestar Mechanic engine is a very useful engine for people who want to create video games without learning a whole truck load of programming and code. It's a limited free service in that all of the objects you can place in your games are earned through the "quest" section of the game. The quests all have stories that are supposed to teach kids about basic game mechanics. As the player advances through the quest, they get new objects based on the mechanics they learn about that they can use to publish their own games.

As of this post, there is currently one free quest available, called "Addison Joins the League." In addition, somehow you can pay an additional fee to become a premium member, through which you can access new quests and get new objects to put in your games. If you've ever wanted to make a simple top-down maze game or platforming game, but don't know about programming, then I'd highly suggest this website to you. The link to the website is posted below:

http://www.gamestarmechanic.com

I hope you enjoy my game, and thanks so much for reading!

As this post's video, here's an informational video about the site:

2 comments:

  1. As of playing that one old flash game you made before, I was interested in this one too, played it for a few minutes to get a feel of it, and I must say it was pretty neat for what I played of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ChaoticArrow Huzzah! I've gotta say, although the website's engine and mechanics limit all the things that you could to in a game, I'm glad to hear that it was good!

    ReplyDelete